Friday, May 19, 2006

#26: May 19, 2006

I chase Euterpe through a shadowed wood;
The lyric eludes me, and now the sun sinks low.
My arms outstretched, I jam a tree--no good!
The falling dark leaves me nothing to show.

Erato teases with her breathy sigh;
I glimpse her as if through a sheet of gauze:
Her full, seductive breasts, a naked thigh--
and then she runs. "Why, Goddess?" "Just because."

Frantic, I seek stately Calliope
To bless my poet's prayers. Still as a stone,
Memory's eldest daughter does not flee
But scatters like a mist. I am alone.

The girl I lust after always refuses.
Why should I expect different from the Muses?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this gallop through the muses as love objects. The concluding couplet is exactly on key. Nice light touch about a serious deprivation. Why ARE love and art so similar, and both so hard to do well?