Tuesday, July 04, 2006

#72: July 4, 2006

That day Dewayne was digging by the fence--
just eight years old, hair like a tuft of straw
under his cap. On my way out I saw
him crouching there, and haven't seen him since.

Then later on that week, the local law
came by to call. I told them what I'd seen:
the boy, the brown post fence backed by the green
forest, the shadowed path its open maw.

It's what I didn't tell them haunts my dreams:
in the years since, when night closes its claw
around the new moon, out in the intense
quiet of that untravelled wood, the raw
throat of the horned owl startles me to sense
the fading echo of that poor boy's screams.

2 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Hey, your sonnets are about as good as any I've read! How come more people don't come around??? Have you posted on Poetry Thursday?

Scott said...

Thanks! No, I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with Poetry Thursday. Mostly I just get friends and acquaintances here right now, but I hope as I get more sonnets posted more people will notice.