Wednesday, July 26, 2006

#94: July 26, 2006

Eli's become the most annoying cat,
Constant yowling, twenty-four hours a day;
And while Alexei's dumb as well as fat,
At least he doesn't carry on that way!

He hasn't always been like this, you know.
We've had him now for nearly thirteen years.
There was a time when he would scarcely show
Himself, and his meow never reached our ears.

But now he howls and screeches night and day,
For food, stroking, desire to be let out.
Is it hunger, old age, mental decay?
Loneliness? Fear of death? What's it about?

Perhaps he knows he won't be with us long
And hopes to be remembered by his song.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Inspired by real life experience with my real life annoying gray tabby, Eli. Alexei is our younger orange tabby, who's had his own problems.

I'm not one of those poets who thinks everything he writes is gold, and to be hones I'm not too thrilled with the way the poem turned out. But I am glad to get the sentiment off my chest. :)