Tuesday, September 24, 2013

V. 2, #179: September 24, 2013

A jellyfish was floating in the ocean
at one with lunar ebbs and warming flow
when suddenly its dreamy, fluttered motion
was stopped. Because it had no way to know

the cause of this transoceanic hiccup
(for brains are something jellies do without)
it waited for the salty whoosh to pick up
afflicted not at all by fear and doubt.

It could not see the dread form of Cthulhu'd
burst upwards like a rocket from Ry'leh;
would not have shaken, even if it knew who'd
brushed past it on his vile, destructive way.

It simply waited. Soon the flow returned.
It floated on, while mankind shrieked and burned.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Sometimes I just like playing around with the extra-syllable rhyme at the end of a line, which gives the verse a more playful cadence, I think. It might not be art, but I had fun with it.

David Watson said...

Wonderful sonnet. Feminine rhymes are great. Are you familiar with Eugene Onegin, the sonnet-novel. That style sonnet is very playful, perfect for storytelling and built on feminine rhyme. Love to see you try one of those.

Scott said...

Thanks for the comment, David! I am familiar with Pushkin's work by name only--I've never actually sat down and read it, I'm afraid. Maybe I need to correct that oversight.

I do love Byron, though, and Childe Harold's Pilgrimage contains some of my favorite poetry ever. That could be considered a sort of verse-novel, I suppose.

As for trying a sonnet-novel myself...at first the idea seems overwhelmingly difficult to me. But on the other hand, the bulk of my stuff here has a decidedly narrative slant. If I could come up with a plot, I might give it a try!

Thanks again for reading!

David Watson said...

You should definitely read it. Actually, a novel was written in the 80s called The Golden Gate using the Pushkin sonnet form. That is a must read since it was originally written in english. Truly brilliant writing. You should definitely try a novel in verse, but I meant write some sonnets in the Pushkin form. I think you'd love it. Lends itself very easily to narrative as you will see in The Golden Gate.