Monday, October 28, 2013

Well, it was a good run...

But I'm afraid it's over. I was out of town and missed writing the sonnet of the day for Saturday and Sunday. The second cycle of 365 in a row is and will be incomplete.

I toyed with the idea of making it up and going on like nothing happened. But that's against the rules, and besides, I'll admit that I have not felt inspired to continue. In fact, it's kind of a relief to not have it hanging over my head for a change. Which I think says something about my motivations, or lack thereof. So ending it now is, I think, the right thing.

I'm proud to have managed so many in a row, even if I think I could count on my fingers the poems that were really good this time round, and still have digits left over. In a way, it makes me even prouder of my first time through: not only having completed it, but in the process producing some of what's likely my best work. Unfortunately I'm not in a place where I can repeat that now--in fact, I probably never will be. And that's okay.

To anyone who has been reading, I'm sorry for the anticlimactic finish. I don't think I'll stop writing sonnets altogether, and should I produce something I think is worthwhile, I'll definitely post it here. In the meantime, thanks for reading, and best wishes.


Scott

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. It's hard to imagine that for 1.5 years you've been silent on this blog, but even more imaginable is that you have no comments. So I thought I would leave a comment. Your blog inspired me for years, and has been a go-to for my students when I begin to teach them the power of sonnets. They appreciate the humor, and the shock value, of some of your sonnets, but I think they appreciate most this idea that the first try might not always be perfect, but one must keep trying. Thank you for posting your work so publicly, and I hope somewhere, you're still writing and posting, even if it is just for you. Thanks for what you have here - it's one of my favorite poetry blogs.

Anonymous said...

Wow. It's hard to imagine that for 1.5 years you've been silent on this blog, but even more imaginable is that you have no comments. So I thought I would leave a comment. Your blog inspired me for years, and has been a go-to for my students when I begin to teach them the power of sonnets. They appreciate the humor, and the shock value, of some of your sonnets, but I think they appreciate most this idea that the first try might not always be perfect, but one must keep trying. Thank you for posting your work so publicly, and I hope somewhere, you're still writing and posting, even if it is just for you. Thanks for what you have here - it's one of my favorite poetry blogs.

Scott said...

Mrs. Gillespie, I'm sorry I've only just now seen and published this comment. Thank you so much for your kind words! It means more to me than you know. It's especially exciting (and humbling) to know that you have even used the Sonnet Project with your students...what an ego boost! I would love to hear more about that, admittedly mostly out of vanity. ;) But sincerely, thank you so much, and all best wishes to you and your students.

FYI, I can still be reached via email at the account listed in my profile.